Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Altered Preconceptions

I was always kinda intimidated by painting. I saw it as a fine art for which I had no talent, and I didn't want to do poorly and have my artwork seen by other people.

Then a few years back I was flipping through the Magic subreddit and found that some people like to paint on their cards to make them prettier. It looked fun. So I decide what the heck, I can do that. I grab some paints with a 50% off coupon at Michael's and get to work.

Turns out, everybody starts out bad at painting, so I needn't have worried. Here are my first three attempts (some cards in this article are side-by-side with original so you can see the difference.

Clearly needs some work, but I was happy with the result for a first try.

The bottom here is muddy, but the color-matching up top worked out nicely.

I was kinda awestruck at my work on this one.










Then I got interested in the double-faced cards.




Up to this point, I was merely doing border extensions. I decided to branch out a little bit and add some subtle flair.















I was getting better.


One of my favorites.

A brush mistake added to the scene, making the background wavy and uncertain.



But some were still kinda bad.

Still can't get the hang of simple color matching.




Anyhow, I'm trying to get back into it after not having done anything for over a year, and I thought some people might like to see my previous efforts. I'll post more as I make them.










No comments:

Post a Comment